Listed in order from west to east.
- The Trail of the 1844 John C. Frémont Expedition, at the northwest corner of the Calaveras River (postmile SJ 6.09)
- Clinton, on Clinton Rd., south of the highway, in Pine Grove – Clinton was the center of a placer mining community during the 1850s and of quartz mining as late as the 1880s. This town once decided Amador County elections as its votes were always counted last.
- Irishtown, at the intersection of Pine Grove Wieland Rd. in Pine Grove—This was an important stopping place for emigrants on their way to the southern mines. The first white settlers on this spot found it a “city of wigwams,” and hundreds of mortars in the rocks testify that this was a favorite Indian camping ground.
- Mount Zion State Park, Pine Grove
- Indian Grinding Rock State Historic Park, Pine Grove
- Eldorado National Forest, Amador Ranger Station, Pioneer
- Maiden’s Grave, burial place of Rachel Melton (d. 1850), a young girl who died while traveling to California via covered wagon (postmile AMA 61.3)
- The Old Emigrant Road was a long loop around the Silver Lake basin, starting from Caples Lake and reaching an elevation of 9,640 feet (2,938 m) at one place. This difficult portion of the road was used by thousands of vehicles from 1848 to 1863, when a better route was blasted out of the face of the cliff at Carson Spur (the present highway route). There are two markers. One is at the intersection of Mud Lake Rd (postmile AMA 63.1). The second marker is at postmile ALP 2.4, at Caples Lake.
- Cooks Station, a roadside stop built in 1863 and still in operation, elevation 5,000 feet (1,500 m)
- Ham’s Station is a roadside stop still in operation as a restaurant and convenience store, located at an elevation of 6,000 feet (1,800 m). Ham’s Station was built by 1879 and originally served as a toll station on the highway. Both Cooks and Ham’s stations are routinely used by Caltrans to indicate points where tire chains are required for continued travel during snowstorms, as they are two of the only landmarks between Pioneer and the junction with State Route 89.
- Kirkwood Mountain Resort, Kirkwood
- Kirkwood’s, a resort, stage station, and post office originally built by Zack Kirkwood in 1864. The building straddles the Alpine–Amador county line.
- The Kit Carson Marker (CHL #315, postmile ALP 5.2), at the summit of Carson Pass, marks where Carson carved his name into a tree in 1844 while guiding John C. Frémont through the Sierra Nevada. The original can be found at Sutter’s Fort, Sacramento.
- On some large rocks near Carson Pass, a group of pioneers inscribed their names and the emblem of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows in 1849 (postmile ALP 5.3).
And of course, Pioneer Inn & Suites is located one Highway 88!
(List courtesy of Wikipedia)